- 1 pound sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Steenís 100% Pure Cane Syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked 10-inch Basic Savory Piecrust 
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Sauce, warmed slightly 
- 1 cup Sweetened Whipped Cream 
- Confectionersí sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until they are fork tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cool, peel, and mash.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, the Steen’s syrup, the spices, 1 of the eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. Mix well. Line a 10-inch deep-dish pie pan with the rolled-out pie dough, then pour the filling into the pastry shell. Spread the pecan pieces evenly over the filling.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 4 eggs, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt and stir to blend. Pour over the pecans. Bake until the filling sets and the pastry is nicely browned, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before slicing to serve. Garnish with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and confectioners’ sugar.