- 1/4 pound (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground pecans
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg whites
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pecan pieces and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the banana slices and syrup and bring to a simmer. Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine the flour, ground pecans, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and vanilla together slightly. Beat the milk and the 1 stick of melted butter into the egg mixture. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir until combined yet still slightly lumpy. In a small mixing bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently form into the batter, leaving little fluffs.
- If using a Belgian waffle iron, pour 1 cup of the batter onto the grids of a preheated and lightly greased waffle iron. (Regular waffle irons will take only about 1/2 cup.) Close the lid. Do not open during cooking time. For the Belgian waffle iron, cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Smaller waffle irons will take 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with the pecan and banana syrup.