- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces pickled pork meat, cubed
- 2 smoked ham hocks (3 to 4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, picked over, soaked in water to cover overnight, and drained
- 10 cups Chicken Stock or 
- canned chicken broth
- Fry the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pickled pork meat and ham hocks and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the peas are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove the pork meat and ham hocks and let cool. Thinly slice the pork meat and pull the meat from the ham hocks. Return the meat to the pot and let heat through again. Remove the bay leaves.
- To serve, ladle into bowls.