- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 16 cups Chicken Stock or 
- canned chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Stir in the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Add the potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Season again if necessary. Add the parsley.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.