- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, chervil, and/or tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ripe Creole or other good-quality tomatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla
- 2 medium-size ripe Hass avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into six 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Chiffonade of fresh herbs for garnish, optional
In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and herbs. Whisk until well blended, then season with salt and pepper.
Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut the onion into thin slices or rings. Slice the avocados lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Season both sides of all of them with salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the tomatoes, onion, and avocados on a large platter along with the cheese and drizzle with the dressing.
Garnish with chiffonade of fresh herbs if desired.