- 2 tablespoons Community New Orleans Blend instant coffee granules or granules of any instant coffee
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sugar
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large egg yolks
- In a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Combine the instant coffee, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and pepper together and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Heat the mixture to the scalding point (when bubbles form around the edge of the pan). Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Add the cream mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, to the beaten egg, whisking well between each addition, until it is all used. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass bowl. Cover the top of the mixture with plastic wrap (this will keep a skin from forming) and let cool completely.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill completely. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and follow the manufacture’s directions for the churning time.