- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon kirsch, or other cherry brandy
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Accompaniments 
Rub the inside of a medium-size saucepan with the garlic and discard. Add the wine and lemon juice and heat for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the cheese cubes to the saucepan and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts completely, 2 to 3 minutes.
Combine the cornstarch and kirsch in a small bowl. Stir into the cheese mixture and continue to cook until it is smooth and slightly thick, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Serve in a fondue pot, or use a flameproof dish set over a small candle. Serve with a platter of accompaniments.