- Heat the oil in a heavy 9-inch skillet, preferably cast-iron, to 360?F.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Combine the eggs with 2 tablespoons of the milk in a shallow bowl. Season with Essence. Put 3 cups of the flour in a large shallow bowl and season with Essence. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, coating each piece evenly and tapping off any excess. Dip the chicken in the egg wash, coating it completely and letting the excess drip off. Dredge again in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Fry several pieces of chicken at a time in the hot oil until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels, then season with Essence. When youíre all done, carefully pour off the oil, leaving behind about 1/4 cup of the oil along with the brown bits.
- Over medium, add the remaining 1/2 cup flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the remaining 3 cups milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Season with salt and plenty of pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, whisking constantly. The gravy should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If it is too thick, add a little water to thin it.
- Serve the chicken and gravy with mashed potatoes.