- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flower
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Crystal Hot Sauce or the hot sauce of your choice
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Essence to taste 
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, hot sauce, onion, and jalapenos in a medium-size mixing bowl and mix well. Add the eggs and milk and mix again.
- Heat 4 inches of oil in a large, heavy, deep pot or electric fryer to 360ºF. Drop in the batter a heaping tablespoon at a time, frying 6 at a time. When the hush puppies pop to the surface, roll them around in the oil with a slotted spoon to brown them evenly. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Essence and serve.