- 4 cups Fish Stock, or 
- canned chicken broth
- 3 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Pernod
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 10 saffron threads
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 10 ounces cod fillet, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices of French bread, about 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, Pernod, garlic, and saffron. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add the fennel and the cod and gently simmer until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the fennel is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss the bread with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put them on a baking sheet and toast until crusty, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and rub each slice with the garlic halves.
- To serve, place a slice of bread in the bottom of four soup bowls. Ladle the stew over the croutons and serve hot.