- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
- 2 teaspoons drained sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the egg, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and relish in a food processor or blender and process for 15 seconds. With the motor running, pour the oil through the feed tube in a slow steady stream. Add the cayenne, mustard, and salt and pulse once or twice to blend.
- Cover and let sit for 1 hour in the refrigerator before using. Best if used within 24 hours.
- Salmonella warning: Let’s talk about egg safety because I don’t want any of you out there to get sick. I personally love homemade fresh mayonnaise and I make it with fresh—and I mean FRESH—raw eggs. I’ve never had any trouble, but I want you to take some precautions. Always purchase your eggs from a reputable source, a place you can trust with your life. Don’t use eggs after the expiration date on the carton. Don’t go leaving your eggs in the backseat of your car while you’re out and about, and once you get home, keep the eggs in the refrigerator. I use eggs pretty quickly, so I don’t have to worry about keeping them too long at home. But I suppose there’s a tiny risk some nasty old salmonella could sneak into some eggs, so just be cautious about serving young kids or the elderly or to people who have health problems. Okay?