- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Put the shrimp, egg white, onion, cilantro, salt, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon of the sesame oil in a food processor and pulse two or three times to finely chop. Do not puree.
- Put the egg yolks, the remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and the water in a shallow bowl and whisk to blend.
- Spread equal amounts of the shrimp mixture onto 8 slices of the bread. Top with the remaining 8 slices of bread. Press together gently but firmly.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip 4 of the sandwiches in the egg mixture, coating them evenly on both sides. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet. Repeat the process with the remaining 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and sandwiches. Slice each sandwich into 4 triangles to serve.