- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 8 large sprigs fresh mint, plus several small sprigs for garnish
- Combine the sugar, water, and the 8 mint sprigs in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, then add the bourbon.
- Combine the milk and cream in a large nonreactive saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture. In a slow, steady stream, add the egg mixture to the hot cream mixture. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Whisk the bourbon mixture into the cream mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down against the surface of the mixture to keep a skin from forming, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour the mixture into an ice cream machine. Churn according to the manufacturerís directions.
- To serve, put a large scoop of the ice cream in the center of each serving dish and garnish with the remaining mint sprigs. Pass a tray of Pecan Florentines, if you wish.