- 1 fryer (about 4 1/2 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- Put the chicken in a large mixing bowl, add the hot sauce, buttermilk, salt, and pepper, and stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours, turning the chicken pieces several times.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. In a deep cast-iron skillet, heat the vegetable oil to 360?F.
- Combine the flour and 2 teaspoons of the Creole seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Dredge several pieces of chicken at a time in the flour, coating evenly and shaking off any excess. Fry the chicken, 4 to 5 pieces at a time, in the hot oil until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning. Serve hot or at room temperature.