- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium-size eggplant (about 12 ounces), peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 dozen freshly shucked oysters, with their liquor
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, onions, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stream in the milk, stirring constantly, and cook until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the shrimp. Simmer for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the crabmeat, oysters, cheese, and green onions and stir gently to mix. Serve hot.