- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes (about 1 pound), cored
- 1 pound fresh buffalo or cowís milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- About 48 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut each tomato crosswise into twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut the mozzarella crosswise into twelve 1/2-inch-thick slices. Season both sides of each slice of tomato and mozzarella with the salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the tomato slices in the bottom of a shallow plastic or glass bowl. Top each with 2 basil leaves. Place a slice of the mozzarella on top of the basil leaves, then top with the remaining tomato slices and repeat the process using up the remaining mozzarella and basil. Drizzle with the olive oil, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.