- 2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add the shortening and work it in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, working it in with your hands. Add only as much as you need for a smooth ball of dough to form. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then place it on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the dough in half and put the second half back in the refrigerator. For each crust, roll out the dough on the floured surface into a circle about 12 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Proceed as directed in the recipe.