- 1 loaf French bread (about 8 inches in diameter and 15 inches long), ends trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the bread slices on the baking sheet and brush them with half of the olive oil, then sprinkle them with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Turn the slices over, brush with the remaining oil, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 6 minutes, then turn the baking sheet around in the oven to ensure even browning. Bake until the croutons are lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.