- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- Cold water
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Crumble the almond paste in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar. Work the mixture with your hands and fingers until there are no lumps and it looks like clouds.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add to the almond mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture by the tablespoonful about 1 inch apart onto the lined cookie sheet. With a pastry brush, dampen the tops of the cookies with water to prevent the sugar from crystallizing and burning.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until delicately brown. Using a metal spatula, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Macaroons can be eaten right away, or cooled and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.