- OYSTER ROCKEFELLER SOUP:
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small dice
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pint oysters and their liquor
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh spinach, well washed and stems removed
- 1/2 cup Herbsaint, or other licorice flavored liquor such as Pernod or Ouzo
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- CRISPY GRUYERE CROUTONS:
- 16 1/4-inch slices French bread
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- OYSTER ROCKEFELLER SOUP: In a large heavy stockpot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, then the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the oysters, the oyster liquor and cream and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, puree the ingredients, adding the spinach as in batches as you puree. Season with the salt and white pepper, and stir in the Herbsaint.
- Serve immediately with Crispy Gruyere Croutons.
- CRISPY GRUYERE CROUTONS: Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the sliced bread in one layer on a large baking sheet and bake until just lightly brown on both sides, turning once, about 3 - 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the bread from the oven and rub the garlic over one side of each slice. Top each slice with cheese and roast until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes. Serve two croutons with each serving of Oyster Rockefeller Soup.
- Yield: 8 servings