- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated Key Lime peel
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fresh Key Lime juice
- 1 cup milk
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter six 3/4-cup custard cups with 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, then place in a large roasting pan.
- In a large bowl, cream 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, the sugar and lemon peel using an electric mixer. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after the addition of each. Beat in the flour, then the lemon juice. Gradually mix in milk (mixture will be thin and may look curdled).
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the meringue into the yolk mixture in 3 additions. (The mixture will be runny; do not overmix).
- Divide the pudding-cake mixture among the prepared soufflé dishes. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of dishes. Bake until puffed and lightly firm to touch, 30 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle the custard cakes with powdered sugar and serve warm, garnished with fresh mint sprigs if desired.