- 2 cups plus 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 5 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped scallions
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and minced (please wear gloves)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons browning seasoning such as Kitchen Bouquet
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Jamaican Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Jerk marinade
- 3 scallions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
Rinse the chicken pieces well in 2 cups of the vinegar, drain, and then transfer to 2 Ziploc plastic bags and set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor combine remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar, scallions, scotch bonnets, soy sauce, browning, lime juice, allspice, bay leaves, garlic, salt, sugar, thyme and cinnamon. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the jerk marinade for the Jamaican Barbecue Sauce.
Divide the remaining marinade evenly between the two plastic bags containing the chicken pieces. Turn the bags over to evenly distribute the marinade, and refrigerate chicken for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.
On an oiled grill rack set about 6 inches above red-hot coals, grill the chicken (in batches if necessary), covered, for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a warm platter and keep warm until serving.
Serve the chicken with the Jamaican Barbecue Sauce alongside fried plantains, rice or bread of choice.
JAMAICAN BARBECUE SAUCE:
In a medium non-reactive saucepan combine all ingredients except rum and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook another 12 minutes, until sauce is thick and flavorful and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Cool sauce to room temperature before serving. Makes about 2 cups.