- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and butter and bring to a boil. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir quickly with a wooden spoon. Stir until smooth and batter pulls away from sides of pan, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in the cheese.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place spoonfuls of the mixture 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350ºF, and continue to bake for 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and serve warm.