- 32 large sea scallops, cut into thirds to form flat disc shapes, marinated in juice of half a lemon and 1 teaspoon of white truffle oil
- 16 sheets of Phyllo dough, defrosted and covered with a damp towel for working
- 1/2 pound melted butter
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked salmon
- 64 very thin slices of black truffle
- 1 pound spinach, blanched and excess liquid removed
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 finely chopped medium shallots
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 ounces truffle butter, cut into small pieces
- Salt and white pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- KOULIBIACA: Marinate scallops in lemon juice and truffle oil and season with salt and white pepper while you are preparing the other ingredients.
- On a clean, dry countertop place 1 sheet of phyllo with short side closest to you and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of dry breadcrumbs and cover with another sheet of phyllo. Place smoked salmon slices on phyllo, covering an area about 2 inches by 4 inches about 1/4 way up the pieces of phyllo. Place 4 pieces of scallops on top of this, top scallops with slices of truffle, then top with 4 more pieces of scallop, drizzling with melted butter between layers. Now put a thin layer of blanched spinach, top with 4 more pieces of scallops, then a layer of chopped egg, finally topping with another layer of smoked salmon, drizzling with butter between layers. Fold edge of phyllo closest to you over on top of salmon, fold in left and right edges, then roll koulibiaca up completely. Brush top with melted butter, and refrigerate 10 minutes before baking. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately with sauce.
- SAUCE: In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, vinegar and wine and reduce to 1/4 cup. Add the heavy cream and reduce by half. Slowly whisk in the cold butter, adding the truffle butter last. Season the sauce with salt and white pepper. Serve immediately.