- 1 cup fresh white bread (such as ciabatta), crust removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices apple bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped, or 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped, or 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced (such as shiitake and oyster, about 2 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- In a small bowl, soak bread cubes in milk.
- In a sautÈ pan, sautÈ bacon over medium-high heat until crisp and all fat is rendered. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and are soft, about 4 minutes. Deglaze with Marsala and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Squeeze excess milk from bread and place bread in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix well, breaking up pieces of bread. Add mushroom mixture, chopped thyme and oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.