- 3 medium mirlitons (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/2 cup dried fine bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- Put the mirlitons in a saucepan and cover with water. Boil, partially covered, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- When the mirlitons are cool enough to handle, cut them lengthwise in halves. Remove the seeds and hollow out each half with a spoon, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Reserve the pulp. Set aside shells and pulp separately.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, bell peppers, and celery for about 5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add the salt, cayenne, garlic, shrimp, and reserved pulp. Sauté, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and the parmesan and stir to mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and fill each mirliton shell. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown.
- Serve immediately.