- 6 slices (about 4 ounces) bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, such as shiitakes, oysters, or hedgehogs
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chopped, peeled, and seeded tomatoes, or 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth 
- 8 quail, breastbone removed and split down the back (3 1/2 to 4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon, drain, and set aside.
- Add the flour to the fat in the skillet and make a medium brown roux, the color of peanut butter, by stirring constantly for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and stir constantly for about 3 minutes, or until slightly wilted. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and the sherry and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Add the quail, salt, cayenne, and black pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes, basting and turning the quail every 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve garnished with the reserved bacon pieces.