- 1/2 pound bacon chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 2 dozen shucked oysters, drained well
- Basic Savory Pie Crust 
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a platter and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the flour. Stirring constantly for 5 minutes, make a medium brown roux, the color of peanut butter.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Stirring constantly, cook for about 8 minutes, or until wilted and brown. Add the bay leaves, parsley, green onions, garlic, and milk. Blend into the roux and vegetable mixture and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and creamy. Add the oysters and reserved bacon. Fold into the mixture and cook until the edges of the oysters curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Remove the bay leaves.
- Arrange a pie crust in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Pour the oyster mixture into the crust. Rub the edges of the pie crust with a little water. Place the other crust on top, trim the edges, then crimp together the top and bottom crusts. Make several slashes in the top of the pie crust with a sharp, pointed knife. Place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.