- 1 large fryer, cut into 10 serving pieces (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Rustic Rub 
- Solid vegetable shortening for deep-frying
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, toss the chicken with the salt, cayenne, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the rub. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat the shortening to 350ºF. in an electric deep-fryer or deep cast-iron pot. There should be enough shortening for the chicken pieces to immerse.
- Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and 1 tablespoon of the rub in another shallow bowl.
- Combine the flour and the remaining 2 tablespoons rub in another shallow bowl. Roll the chicken in the flour mixture, then in the milk-egg mixture, then again in the flour. Shake off excess batter. Fry 2 to 4 pieces (the number will depend on the size of the frying pot) at a time, 10 to 12 minutes for thighs and drumsticks, 8 to 10 minutes for wings and breasts. When they pop to the surface of the oil and are golden brown, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.