- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby cheese
- 3/4 cup (mild or hot) pickled jalapeno slices, drained
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add the flour and whisk to blend. Season with salt and Essence.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then slowly add the milk and whisk to blend. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Allow mixture to simmer, stirring constantly using a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 20 minutes.
- Add the cheese and the chopped jalapeno slices, and whisk until completely melted. Remove from the heat and serve warm with Emeril's Ultimate Hot Dog Bar.
- Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days, then reheated on low heat, with a little liquid added if necessary.