- 3 tuna steaks, each about 8 ounces and 1-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 6 ounces haricots verts, or small, thin green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 small head romaine or Bibb lettuce, rinsed and patted dry, and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 hard boiled large eggs, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup halved and seeded black brine-cured olives
- 1/2 cup halved and seeded green brine-cured olives
- Anchovy Dressing 
- 1 tablespoon small capers, drained
- Chopped assorted soft herbs, such as parsley, basil, chives, as garnish
- Lightly season the tuna on both sides with Essence, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the tuna and cook on both sides until seared and medium inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (Alternatively, grill the tuna until medium.) Place on a plate, let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, 2 to 4 hours.
- Bring 2 medium pots of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes to 1 pot and blanch until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander and shock in an ice bath. Drain well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add the green beans to the other pot and blanch until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain in a colander and shock in an ice bath. Drain well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a 3-quart clear glass bowl, arrange the lettuce across the bottom. Top with the chilled potatoes and green beans, then the tomatoes, eggs, and olives. With a fork or your fingers, break the tuna into large bite-sized chunks and arrange over the top of the olives. Drizzle the dressing over the top, garnish with capers and fresh herbs, and serve.