- 1/4 cup butter and olive oil, mixed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs tossed with 1/3 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Film the bottom of a gratin pan with a tablespoon or so of the butter/olive oil mixture. Cover the bottom of the pan with overlapping layers of potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and some of the cheese. Continue this layering process, finishing with a layer of potatoes. Drizzle the cream slowly over top. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake until the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Then remove the foil, top with the breadcrumb mixture and broil until brown and crispy.