- 4 large baking potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and grated
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil (optional)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
- Shaved or sliced black truffles for garnish (optional)
- Wrap the grated potatoes in a large clean towel and squeeze out the excess starch. Get them as dry as possible. Unwrap and put the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the white pepper, and the olive oil and toss to mix well. Form the mixture into 12 small cakes about 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a 10- or 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it’s hot but not smoking. Fry the cakes, several at a time, until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Pour off the oil and wipe the skillet clean. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the remaining teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, the truffle oil if using, half-and-half, green onions, and parsley. Whisk to blend.
- In the skillet, heat the butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the egg mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir the eggs and cook until the mixture sets slightly, but is still soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Cook 2 to 3 minutes longer if firmer eggs are desired. Add the cheese, stir gently for about 30 seconds, and remove from heat. Continue stirring the mixture until the cheese melts completely.
- To serve, top each potato cake with an equal portion off the eggs. Garnish with shaved truffles if desired. Serve warm.