- One 1-pound link andouillle or kielbasa sausage, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 8 cups Chicken Stock 
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed, sorted over, soaked overnight in water to cover, and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Brown the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, cayenne, garlic cloves, thyme, bay leaves, and parsley. Cook, stirring, until the onions are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, peas, and garlic. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the peas are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve warm.