- 1 1/4 pounds new red potatoes (about 10 small), scrubbed
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- One 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, thoroughly washed and trimmed of tough stems
- 1/4 pound Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- Put new potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Let the potatoes boil until they are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Quarter the potatoes and put them in salad bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Add the onions, another teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring until the onions are wilted and lightly golden, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat. Add the garlic and stir the mixture for about 30 seconds. Add the vinegar and the oil and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the dressing mixture and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to the potatoes and gently toss to coat evenly. Transfer the potatoes to another bowl and set aside. To the salad bowl, add the spinach, the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the dressing, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss to coat the leaves evenly.
- Divide the spinach into ten equal portions and mound in the center of each plate. Sprinkle each with equal portions of the cheese. Arrange four potato quarters around each mound. Serve immediately.