- 10 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg plus some for garnish
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 6 large egg whites
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, beat together the eggs and sugar. Stir in the half-and-half. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and reaches at least 160ºF. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, vanilla, bourbon, and brandy. Cool, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, then fold them into the eggnog. Serve cold in punch cups and sprinkle with nutmeg.