- 3/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 gumbo crabs, each cut in half
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Zatarainís Concentrated Liquid Shrimp & Crab Boil (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Crab Boulettes 
- Combine the flour and oil in a large nonstick saucepan and whisk until smooth. Over medium heat, stir constantly until the mixture is the color of peanut butter, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the crabs and tomatoes and stir to mix. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the brandy, water, and Zatarainís boil. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Add the green onions and parsley. Remove the bay leaves. Remove from the heat and add the cream. Mix to blend.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup crabmeat. Top each with a half crab and a crab boulette.