- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels, from 1 medium-size ear
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup masa harina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- Christmas Caviar Sauce 
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks, finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled egg whites, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- One 7-ounce tin caviar
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the corn, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper and cook, stirring, until the corn and shallots are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the eggs and the cream in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend well. Add the cornmeal, flour, masa harina, baking powder, cayenne, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the water. Mix well. Fold in the corn-and-shallot mixture.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil hot, but not smoking, gently drop the batter, a tablespoon at a time, into the pan. You can cook about eight cakes at a time. Cook until the cakes are lightly golden on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Repeat until all of the oil and the batter are used up.
- Drain the cakes on paper towels. Sprinkle with the Creole seasoning and serve warm with caviar sauce, accompanied with a tray of garnishes. These can also be prepared in advance and passed around on trays.