- 4 pounds raw chicken bones, including the carcass and necks, rinsed in cool water
- 8 quarts water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Put the chicken bones in a large stockpot and cover with the water. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Skim off any cloudy scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and let cool completely. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. The next day, remove any congealed fat from the surface. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days, or can be stored in 2 or 4 cup containers in the freezer for up to 1 month.