- 6 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 4-ounce portions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced, and smashed
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 quart cola beverage
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- Barbecue Sauce 
- 6 Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Blue Cheese Slaw 
- Season both sides of the ribs with the lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Wrap the ribs tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ginger, onions, garlic, Worcestershire, light brown sugar, kosher salt, cola, and water in a large oven-proof stock pot or Dutch oven, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Add the ribs, cover tightly, and transfer to the oven. Cook until the ribs are tender and fall from the bones, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the braising liquid and allow ribs to cool slightly. Remove and shred the meat from the ribs, discarding the bones and any tough or fatty membranes. Place pulled meat in a small baking dish and pour about 1 cup of Barbecue Sauce over the ribs and return uncovered, to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pile shredded barbecue short ribs onto toasted buns. Top with Blue Cheese Slaw and additional barbecue sauce, if desired.