- 3 pounds eggplant, (about 3 large)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- One-fourth cup strained yogurt or mayonnaise
- One-fourth cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- One-fourth cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the broiler. Trim the stem ends of the eggplant and make 4 small slits in each. Broil the eggplant 2 or 3 inches from heat source, turning, until evenly browned and soft in the center, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Using a teaspoon, scrape the flesh away from the skins and remove as many seeds as possible. Squeeze the flesh between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Place the onions, garlic, and vinegar in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the eggplant, yogurt or mayonnaise, and parsley, and pulse three times. Add the oil in a stream while pulsing until almost smooth (do not overmix). Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste, and add olive oil and vinegar if desired.