- Four 4-ounce quail, split down the back
- 1 1/2 teaspoons creole spice (recipe included)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 Italian tomatoes, split lengthwise and roasted at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup veal stock
- 1/2 cup cooked grits, leftover is okay
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium saute pan, heat oil. Season quail on both sides with creole spice. Sear the quail, skin side down for 4 minutes. Flip each quail over and continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- Remove quail from the pan and set aside. To the same saute pan place onions and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and stock, and allow to reduce for 1 minute.
- Using a whisk add grits, incorporating them thoroughly. Place the quail back into the pan. Add the green onion, and adjust the seasonings. Cook for 3 more minutes and then stir in the butter. Place quail on two serving plates and top with the sauce.