- Basic Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 ounce (1 package) yeast
- 3 1 /4 cups all-purpose flour (you may need more to achieve the smooth elasticity)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade of basil
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces ) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over that mixture and let stand for 10 minutes, to bloom (it should begin to foam). In the mixer bowl with the dough hook attached, add 3 cups of flour, salt and yeast mixture. Slowly turn it on and work the dough together. Turn it up to medium and mix for 5 minutes. If the dough is sticky, continue mixing and gradually add the remaining flour. Place this smooth ball of dough into an oiled bowl, cover and set aside to rise for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Punch down the dough, and remove it from the bowl onto a lightly oiled, 9-inch by 13-inch sheet tray. Spread the dough out onto the sheet tray. Using your fingertips, make "dimples" in the dough. Drizzle the dough with olive oil, sprinkle on the basil, spread out the tomato slices, sprinkle on the cheese and bake for 30 - 35 minutes.