- 1/4 pound zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch lengthwise slices
- 1/4 pound yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch lengthwise slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 pound red pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill. Toss all the vegetables in the olive oil and season. Carefully grill all the vegetables making sure to get grill marks (that's where the flavor is). Set aside to cool. When cool enough, cut all into uniform small dice. Add to the soup base and adjust the seasonings.