- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced ramp whites (wild leeks), reserve the green for the relish
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup green part of the ramp (washed and left whole)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup crispy bacon bits (about 1 cup raw)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Heat the oil in a medium saute pan until it ripples. Add the ramp whites and cook until tender, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and cool as you prepare the custard. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth, add the cream and whisk to combine. Add the cheese and cooked ramp. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Divide the custard between 6 small ramekins (6 ounce capacity). Place ramekins in a shallow baking dish. Place inside the oven and add sufficient hot water to come 3/4 way up the side. Cover with foil and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat the grill. Toss the greens with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill lightly for 30 seconds, remove from the grill and roughly chop. Add the greens to a bowl with the red peppers, bacon, vinegar and remaining oil. Season. Serve a small pile of the relish on top of the hot custard for the perfect appetizer.
- Yield 6 appetizer portions