- 3 cups shredded salt cod (about 2 pound of fillets)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons. chopped garlic
- 2 quarts chicken stock or light broth
- 1/2 chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- Salt and pepper
- Salt cod fillets, skinned, boned, blanched, and slightly salted, are sold pre-packed. They need to be washed thoroughly under cold tap water. Then soak them in a bowl of cold water for 12-24 hours depending on the size, changing the water several times. Drain the water and place in a pan with fresh water and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain and shred into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions, cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic, cook for 3 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the base until smooth. Place it back on the heat, and add the salt cod, parsley, and olives. Adjust the seasonings, and serve.