- 1 cup fine-grain bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red delicious apple (tossed in a little lemon juice to prevent browning)
- 4 beautiful ripe tomatoes, hollowed and 2 tablespoons finely-chopped tomato pulp reserved
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- Salad greens, for serving
Rinse the bulgur wheat in a sieve and place in a bowl, covered with cool water. Let stand until tender, about 30 minutes, or longer if needed. Drain excess liquid.
Hollow out the tomatoes to make room for the salad, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pulp separately. In a large mixing bowl, combine the drained bulgur wheat, olive oil, onions, apples, chopped tomato innards, and all the remaining ingredients (except greens); blend well. Adjust the seasonings, adding lemon juice to taste. Refrigerate overnight and check seasonings before you fill the tomatoes. Serve on greens.