- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 heads of garlic, split in half
- 1 quart of cream
- 1 pound peeled white potatoes, 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound peeled sweet potatoes, 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound red potatoes, 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- Salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a porcelain souffle dish with the butter. In a sauce pot, bring the garlic and cream up to a simmer. Season with salt and white pepper. Simmer the cream for 15 minutes, or until the cream has reduce by 1/4 and has slightly thickened. Season the potatoes with salt and white pepper. Alternate layering the white potatoes, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, and cheese in the prepared dish. You should have a total of six layers. Remove the garlic from the cream and pour over the potatoes.
- Cover the souffle dish with aluminum foil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool the gratin for 10 minutes before serving. Place a piece of the gratin on a plate and garnish with Essence, cheese, and chives.