- 12 (3 ounces) venison medallions
- 2 cups roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon Essence
- 2/3 cup creole mustard
- Olive oil for sauteing
- 6 roasted whole sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds, skin left on, warm
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Fried sweet potato nests
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons brunoise red peppers
- 2 tablespoons brunoise yellow peppers
- For the venison: In a food processor; pulse the pecans until they are coarse and still are textured. (Do not puree the pecans because the crust will be too wet). Add the bread crumbs and Essence. Season each medallion with salt and pepper. Rub each medallion with the creole mustard, coating each side completely.
- Crust each medallion with the pecan crust. (*Every inch of the medallion needs to be crusted completely.) For the mash: the potatoes should be roasted for 40 minutes at 425s<caron>F. Remove the skin from the roasted sweet potatoes and place in a sauce pot.
- Overlow heat, partially mash the sweet potatoes. Add the cream, bourbon and butter, continue to mash until all the ingredients are incorporated and the potatoes are smooth but with small lumps. Season with salt end pepper. To finish the venison, in a saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is smoking hot, add the venison. Saute for 3 minutes for medium rare on each side..
- Yields: 4 servings