- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups veal stock or brown chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Combine the shallots, garlic, salt and pepper in a small nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Stir in the stock and the wine and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for 15 minutes. Swirl in the butter, remove from the heat, and continue to whisk in the butter until thoroughly incorporated.
- Mound the potatoes in the center of the plate. Slice a couple of slices off the roast and position them at an angle against the potatoes. Spoon the sauce over top. Garnish with fresh black pepper and long chives.